Found a page that provides some support for having school uniforms here.From the US page:
The adoption of school uniform policies can promote school safety, improve discipline, and enhance the learning environment. The potential benefits of school uniforms include:
- decreasing violence and theft — even life-threatening situations — among students over designer clothing or expensive sneakers;
- helping prevent gang members from wearing gang colors and insignia at school;
- instilling students with discipline;
- helping parents and students resist peer pressure;
- helping students concentrate on their school work; and
- helping school officials recognize intruders who come to the school.
The page also lists guidelines to adopting a school uniform policy:
- Get parents involved from the beginning
- Protect students' religious expressionA school uniform policy must accommodate students whose religious beliefs are substantially burdened by a uniform requirement. As U.S. Secretary of Education Richard W. Riley stated in Religious Expression in Public Schools, a guide he sent to superintendents throughout the nation on August 10, 1995:
Students may display religious messages on items of clothing to the same extent that they are permitted to display other comparable messages. Religious messages may not be singled out for suppression, but rather are subject to the same rules as generally apply to comparable messages. When wearing particular attire, such as yarmulkes and head scarves, during the school day is part of students' religious practice, under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act schools generally may not prohibit the wearing of such items.
- Protect students' other rights of expression
- Determine whether to have a voluntary or mandatory school uniform policy
- When a mandatory school uniform policy is adopted, determine whether to have an "opt out" provision
- Do not require students to wear a message
- Assist families that need financial help
- Treat school uniforms as part of an overall safety program
For the sake of brevity I've left out the explanation for all except one of the guidlines. Left the one on religious messages in because it is an issue for Singapore and France.
For the sake of brevity I've left out the explanation for all except one of the guidelines. Left the one on religious messages in because it is an issue for Singapore and France.There also some advice here on how to wear a certain JC's uniform and still have some variation.